Business Professional & Occupational Licenses


Each business in Virginia needs a license, which is known as the Business, Professional and Occupational license (“BPOL”). The BPOL is used to administer a tax on businesses based upon gross revenues. Those taxes are collected at the local level, which also issues the license.

If you choose a plan that provides for the service, we will give you instructions on where and how to get this license in the jurisdiction(s) where your business is located. We will tell you how to get the license in any Virginia jurisdiction, but we cannot give you any advice on how to calculate the tax or allocate it among multiple jurisdictions.

You should consult you tax advisor regarding the calculation or payment of this tax and you should not rely on us in any way regarding the payment of this tax.